The most important numbers of this summer or “Wine vs freezer”
How, and most importantly, how many degrees to cool the wine?
If you are a patient, calculating and practical winemaker, then you, of course, have a wine cabinet, all kinds of space devices for cooling and just a car of patience.
Whoever understood the wine is no longer in a hurry … So in fact (isn’t it so, right?) Omar Khayyam conceived his poems 😀
But! If you run into the house with another sparkling or white wine, bought under a super-duper action in a store, with crazy eyes and a slight tremor in your hands from an incredible desire to taste something urgently and without delay, the following information will definitely be useful.
Throw in the freezer! Nothing critical will happen to him, believe me. Riesling or Sauvignon will not die of their own accord and will not “chase” away from light stress cooling. The main thing is to know when to stop.
We put a simple Ribbon Riesling in the freezer (-20 degrees) and calculated for you how the temperature of the wine will change over time. The initial one was high – 25 degrees (which corresponds to a room without air conditioning).
And here we come to numbers:
- 15 minutes – 19 degrees (tolerable)
- 30 minutes – 15 degrees (take out the red ones)
- 45 minutes – 11 degrees (take out the light reds: Valpolicella, Bardolino, Game; denser whites: Chardonnay, Viognier, all sorts of oranges, etc.)
- 1 hour – 9 degrees (we take out light whites: Pinot Grigio, Sauvignons, Rieslings, Gruners, Albariños, etc.)
- 1 hour 15 minutes – 6 degrees (we get sparkling wine, Vigno Verde and all sorts of simple tricopeychic white and rosé wines, for which a low temperature is like anesthesia at the dentist)
All measurements were carried out using a probe, which was immersed in the very heart of the bottle. Nothing was poured out of the bottle to make the experiment even a little more honest.
Of course, all the data are not of scientific interest, but they can serve as a rough guide.
PS If the desire to taste is not too strong, then it is better to take care of the cooling in advance – it will be safer and seasoned sommeliers will not twist their fingers at the temple.
We’ll be back soon, cool wine everyone 🍷